Leverage: Redemption (previously referred to as Leverage 2.0) is the title of the forthcoming reboot of the original Leverage TV series. Four of the original cast members will return as their characters: Gina Bellman as Sophie Devereaux, Aldis Hodge as Alec Hardison, Christian Kane as Eliot Spencer and Beth Riesgraf as Parker. Aldis Hodge will have a recurring role to accommodate his schedule as one of the leads on the Showtime series City on a Hill. Timothy Hutton will not be a part of the series at this time.
Whereas the original series was focused on avenging the death of Nathan Ford's son Sam, the re-imagined series "is propelled forward as a story of misdeeds that need amends", stated Dean Devlin. Devereaux, Hardison, Spencer and Parker have watched over the past eight years as it became easier and sometimes legal for the rich and powerful to get their own way.
Joining the cast will be Noah Wyle, who has worked with Christian Kane on Electric Entertainment's series The Librarians. Wyle will play Harry Sullivan, a corporate lawyer "looking for redemption after realizing he'd been sitting on the wrong side of the table for his entire career". Also joining the cast is Aleyse Shannon as Breanna Casey, a genius mechanical engineer skilled at social hacking and social media manipulation, who became a foster child after her parent's car accident and was taken in by Hardison's foster mother.
John Rogers and Chris Downey will return as Consulting Producers for the series. In the same announcement, Devlin stated, "Since the day it was cancelled, I've longed to return to the world of Leverage. The show, the characters, the cast and the people who made it happen all hold a very special place in my heart." He added, "I could not be more excited and fired up about returning to the world of Hitter, Hacker, Grifter, Thief!!" Previously in January 2013, he had expressed a desire to create a feature film to continue the series as there was a "giant pile of stories we still wanted to tell".
Season 1 of Leverage: Redemption will consist of thirteen episodes, with Beth Riesgraf directing one episode and Noah Wyle directing two. It will be broadcast on IMDb TV, a free ad-supported streaming service that can be watched on the IMDb website, the Amazon Fire TV device or in the Prime Video and IMDb apps on other devices. A premier date has not yet been announced, but is likely to be in Summer of 2021.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Noah Wyle as Harry Sullivan
- Gina Bellman as Sophie Devereaux
- Aldis Hodge as Alec Hardison
- Christian Kane as Eliot Spencer
- Beth Riesgraf as Parker
- Aleyse Shannon as Breanna Casey, Hardison's adoptive sister
Guests[edit | edit source]
Crew[edit | edit source]
- Dean Devlin, Executive Producer
- Marc Roskin, Executive Producer
- Rachel Olschan-Wilson, Executive Producer
- Kate Rorick, Executive Producer
- John Rogers, Consulting Producer
- Chris Downey, Consulting Producer
- Beth Riesgraf, Director (1 episode)
- Noah Wyle, Director (2 episodes)
- Jonathan Frakes, (likely as director)
Production[edit | edit source]
Filming was tentatively scheduled to begin in Louisiana in late June or early July 2020, but was delayed to July 20 and then August 4th, due to adherence with COVID-19 safety protocols. After the first table read on August 4th with Bellman, Hodge, Kane and Riesgraf, filming began on August 10th.
On August 26, work on Leverage: Redemption and two other productions from different companies were halted temporarily as Hurricane Laura approached landfall of the Louisiana coast. All three were able to resume a few days later. Production was halted a second time when Hurricane Zeta made landfall in late October.
On October 16, 2020, Beth Riesgraf posted a picture on her Instagram account, announcing the completion of filming of episode 105.
References[edit | edit source]
- ‘Leverage’ Reboot Starring Noah Wyle Ordered By IMDb TV; Original Series’ Team, 4 Cast Members Set To Return, Deadline Hollywood, Nellie Andreeva, April 24, 2020 (via the Electric Entertainment website)
- ‘Leverage’: Aleyse Shannon Joins IMDb TV’s Revival As New Series Regular, Deadline Hollywood, August 19, 2020
- ‘Leverage’ Could Be Back As A Movie, Says Dean Devlin, Deadline Hollywood, January 11, 2013
- Christian Kane and Levar Burton on set during Beth Riesgraf's directoral debut
- ‘Leverage’: Production Underway On IMDb TV Series Reboot In Louisiana, Deadline Hollywood, August 17, 2020
- Hurricane Laura Bears Down On Gulf Coast With “Unsurvivable Storm Surge”; Evacuations Ordered & Productions Halted, Deadline Hollywood, August 26, 2020
- Beth Riesgraf shares picture of last shot completion for episode 105 on Instagram